Wednesday, April 28, 2010

So you want to make a lap top cover? ... Part Une (1) ...


I needed a lap top cover. What is it with guys and laptop covers? Hmm, let me see, can I choose between the black lap top cover with black or the lap top cover with more black but a little grey. But then there is the grey lap top cover with a little bit of black and more black. Because I want something individual.

....?

I made the Amy Butler laptop cover, it looked great but it didn't really do the job. the protection for the laptop was only on the front. While making sure your screen was protected, the back of the lap top wasn't so well protected. There are a few tutorials floating around the web, I looked at most of them but then gave up. I looked at my little laptop, my superb little macbook pro and I made a mental list of all the things I need in a lap top cover. I needed protection for my laptop. I carry it in a bag that is not reinforced, so protection is the key factor. It has to look good. And because I just loved Rouenneries by French General, I wanted to use Rouenneries and make it look okay.

The old KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid.

This is what I tried to do, I don't know that I succeeded but I am happy and I have had some comments on it as well. I also wanted to keep the cost down and I used some stuff I had here as well. So here are the directions, please show me pictures of your lap top cover if you make it, I would just love to see it.

You'll need for a 13" laptop:

1 charm square pack - make sure there are 42 squares (I use MODA charm squares)
1 piece of pre quilted fabric 30" (76.5 cm) x 15" (38.5 cm)
( I got a cheap piece from my local Spotlight Store, so somewhere like JoAnns or any sort of budget fabric store ... thingy ... should have this. I would never use it on any of my stuff but for this, its perfect.)
1 piece of batting 30" (76.5 cm) x 15" (38.5 cm)

I then made a flap out of a large scrap of suede that I had, but the flap can made out of fabric but please remember that the following measurements I am going to give you are WITHOUT seam allowance on THREE sides. This is because I don't need to seam suede edges but I do need to make allowance for sewing the flap into top cover edge.

So my piece of suede was : 10" (25.5 cm) x 3 1/2" (9 cm)

50" (127 cm) of Suede cord or lacing that is 3/16 of an Inch or 3mm in width

You will need a piece of Timtex or similar that is approx : 20" (51 cm) x 14" (35.5 cm). This will give your lap top cover a bit of rigidity and the ever important protection your lap top will love you for.

You'll also need 2 pieces of A2 paper (Taped together along 1 short side on each piece of paper) plus a long ruler and a sharp pencil.

Aye Curumba this is a long post. Okay, lets kick off with the actual fun stuff, the making of the cover.

On my big long rectangle piece of paper I measured out a rectangle with my pencil that was 14 1/2" (37 cm) x 39" (99.5 cm).

This is where I am going to make my grid for laying out my charm squares. Grabbing my ruler I measure and mark out the following along one of the long edges of the rectangle ( the one closest to you would be easy) :-

1/4 " ( .8 cm) , 4 3/4" (12.2 cm) , 5" ( 12.8 cm) , 1 3/4" ( 4.5 cm) , 3 1/8" ( 4.5 cm) , 5" ( 12.8 cm) , 1 1/4" ( 3.2 cm ) , 3 1/4" ( 8.3 cm ) , 5" ( 12.8 cm ) , 1 1/2" ( 3.9 cm ) , 3 1/2" ( 8.9 cm ) , 4" ( 10 cm ).

***************************************

On the long side of your rectangle that is further away from you, measure and mark out the following:-

2" ( 5 cm ), 5" ( 12.8 cm) , 2 3/4" ( 7 cm ) , 2 1/4" ( 5.8 cm ) , 5" ( 12.8 cm ) , 2 1/2" (6.2 cm), 2 1/2" ( 6.2 cm ) , 5" ( 12.8 cm ), 2 1/4" ( 5.8 cm ) , 2 3/4" ( 7 cm ), 5" ( 12.8 cm ), 2" ( 5 cm )

I know this all seems very painful and it is a little bit but its over now and the easy part of your grid begins now. What I did was at the very first point I marked on the side closest to me, I ruled a line from that mark to the second mark from the beginning marks on the other side. I hope that makes sense, please look at the pictures, they should help. Basically, you will have drawn a connecting line that is on an angle, like in the picture above.

This line now becomes a guide line for me. I can draw up my grid, ruling from the next point on the closest side to me to the next point on the opposite side. You keep joining the dots until you have lovely lines climbing up your rectangle (the pattern looks like a barber pole). You now need to do the other side, please don't scream, there will be some more measuring to do but no where near as much as before. But you know what? I have been at this for a couple of hours now and I need a break so I am going to finish up for tonight and continue posting the rest of the directions tomorrow. Sorry about the break, I am trying to keep the language simple. So check in tomorrow for part 2 ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think?