Thursday, October 15, 2009

The blogging Quilt festival...



I have just found about this . After reading through the requirements, here I am, writing a post about a quilt I have made. The pic is of the main panel, it's missing the yoyos and the rest of the zhuzzing that finished it all off. It's currently sitting in Country Pickin's store down in Dural. I wanted to get a picture of it all finished but I haven't had a chance to get down there but I have a class there on sunday so I'll snap a pic of Little Bow in all her glory and post the pic here in three days time. And if I didn't post today about this quilt, I'd miss out on being a part of the festival so ...

Every quilt has a story, everyone. Even if you don't think your quilt or softie or whatever it is that you are making has any kind of history behind it, baby you is wrong. While we make our stuff, while we sew and create, life whirls around us in a steady stream of phone calls, emails and whatever else happens in our lives. Your quilt has a story. Little Bow does, it's not a happy one but she has a story. She came about just after my friend Chris died. I need to make a wee point here, but Chris was NOT a girly kind of guy. He was a big fella, liked Jethro Tull and Pink Floyd. He wrote prodigiously, was a screen writer professionally and he and I had a shared in interest in WWII history, the people side. He would be liking the new book I am working on, and its a real bummer that I didn't get a chance to run my plot by him when I had the chance. So as I was saying, Chris didn't inspire Little Bow, but in the days after his death Little Bow was the driving project in my brain. I needed to get her into the store lickety split, and instead of taking two weeks tops ... she took closer to 4.

I cried over that quilt. Not because it drove me nuts, although pinning it four times drove me crazy, I cried for Chris. Brent was working a long run of night duty, my little girl was in bed and was working on Bow, by myself in the quiet.

So ... I look at little Bow and I like her, she looks great but ... and there will always be a ... but ... about this quilt. I will always look at her and know that it was made just after Chris left us. Which is both a good thing and a sad thing.

So in response to Little Bow, I have come up with another idea today and its a cracker. So before I post anything else, I'm off to search the web for some Katie Jump Rope .... oh yes .... oh we go .... taa dee ta dum .... whistle!

Hi all, here are the pictures of the finished quilt, she looks okay and the girls at the store said folks have been asking about her, I think that's cool. Anyways, here is little Bow ... all finished!

And here are some close up pictures of some of the detail on Little Bow ...









6 comments:

  1. Nice very much the quilt.Marika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilt! Sorry about the loss of your friend. You are so right that all of our quilts tell story. Even if one isn't made for someone or something in particular, our fingers are stitching what is going on in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful lady. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it. You need to turn your thoughts around and look at the quilt with rejoicing that you had such a cherished friend. Remember the good times :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful way to get through the first wave of grief for your friend. I've used more than one quilt to get through things like that. Its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every quilt does tell a story. We stitch with love, tears, grief, joy. It is therapy for our mind, heart, soul, fingers. Thus, each quilt has it's own spirit... Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just wanted to let you know I've posted your quilt on my blog, The Handmade Experiment in a favorites list from the Park City Girl Quilt Festival. http://emilyflippinmaruna.wordpress.com/2009/11/13/park-city-girl-fall-quilt-festival-pt-3/
    Thanks and great quilt!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for letting me know what you think?